Bosie, Idaho – The capital city of the state of Idaho. People ask if there’s anything to do in Idaho? There definitely is and it’s a great place to getaway for a weekend to escape the busy life of the big city if that’s where you’re from. Lots of greenery and yes, more than enough potatoes for you to try in many different styles. This is Boise Idaho…
- The airport is fairly small so it’s very easy to get in and out of the airport.
- You’ll just need to take a short Uber/Lyft and then you’ll be in town before you know it.
- Everything of interest will be downtown so you can literally walk everywhere.
- Try to go on a day when the Farmer’s Market is happening since there will be lots of vendors downtown with different foods as well.
Places to Visit as a Tourist
- Freak Alley – Tons of amazing graffiti
- Julia Davis Park – a large park with greenery the river running through it
- Basque Museum & Cultural Center – Area focused on the autonomous community of Spain
- Old Idaho Penitentiary – Open for daily tours
- Boise Zoo – Cheap admission to see various animals
Being a smaller city, there’s not too many unique options for food. Most of the food you’ll find in Boise is American but a few things worth trying are their unique take on different types of potatoes and bison burgers too.
- The Stil Ice Cream – Great ice cream shop with alcohol infused ice cream too!
- Boise Fry Company – Try different locally grown potatoes with different sauces and cut in different ways. Try their bison burger as well!
- Goldy’s Breakfast Bistro – Famous breakfast spot that gets filled up quick
- Fork – American Brunch
- Tip for “Mat Surfing” is to always call or contact the school ahead of time to see if you are even allowed to take a drop-in class or come by for an open mat session.
For this trip, I visited Base Jiu Jitsu for a class. The mat space is rather large and there were a good amount of students present ranging from different levels. The class that day was taught by Professor Cory Colt who was teaching some guard related techniques. The environment itself was very welcoming and I had an enjoyable time training with all the students there. Definitely drop by if you’re ever in Boise.
Boise is of those states that people rarely visit. People don’t know too much about Idaho other than for its potatoes. The thing is yes, it is definitely a small city compared to the many other metropolitan cities I’ve been to. However, the greenery out here and the smaller city hospitality makes it unique and a nice weekend getaway if you live in a big city. It’s one of those cities where you’ll be able to meet some nice locals and dine in some mom & pop restaurants that all the locals too enjoy. No crowds and luscious greenery everywhere.
Boise, Idaho – May 2019
Return to Homepage